Thursday 31 March 2011

Is education really expensive?

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Derek Bok

Education here does not only mean formal education but also informal.  It is a given fact that formal education is really expensive.  But let me dwell on the informal aspect of education.  When I say informal, it means learning that doesn't take place inside a classroom or a lecture theater.

How many times have we heard someone- a friend, a relative, a peer, a colleague or anybody saying that he won't buy that "something" you recommend because it is expensive?  Is buying a book that costs just a fraction more expensive than missing the knowledge that you will get from it?

I never had a formal training on using a computer, but because I invested on books and of course the internet, I now have three websites live on the web.  Had I thought that it is expensive to invest on these things, I would never had the chance to learn internet marketing much more learn new skills.

As Derek Bok said, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."

And so it is indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment