Saturday 17 September 2011

Francis Kong's Blog Post: ELEVATORS

Francis Kong's Blog Post: ELEVATORS


ELEVATORS

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 08:38 AM PDT

It was not a very good time.

I had an appointment with a potential client in one of those high rises in Ortigas and people were rushing to their respective offices. Squeezed like sardines inside aluminum cans people were pressed together inside the small cubicle. A lady's hair was right in front my face and I can smell the shampoo scent. In fact I could smell different shampoo scents as we traveled up the different flights.

The thing that is so noticeable about elevator rides is that there is no talking inside. People are either looking down at their shoes or looking up at the lighted buttons. Occasionally interrupted by words like, "excuse me" as people get off their floor that is pretty much the sight you see every time you take an elevator ride during peak hours. This reminds me of a story told by Tony Campolo about his own experience inside an elevator.

Tony says: I seem to be particularly dangerous when I get on elevators. Our society teaches us to turn and face the doors and stand there quietly. But in my younger days, I loved to turn around and face the others in the elevator with me and say something like, "You're probably wondering why I called this meeting."

Once when I was in the elevator of a New York skyscraper filled with very serious- faced business people, I smiled and said, "Lighten up. We're going to be traveling together for quite a while. What do you say we sing?" Incredibly, they did! I don't know whether they were intimidated by me or just wanted to have some fun, but businessmen and businesswoman with attaché' cases in hand and businesswoman in their power suits joined me in singing, "You Are My Sunshine."

When I got off at the seventieth floor, one man got off and walked down the hall with me, wearing a big smile on his face. I asked him, "Are you going to do the same meting I'm going to?"

"Nah, "he said." I just wanted to finish my song."

And this popular author Campolo is right.

There are many people I know who do not even have time to sing a song let alone finish it. Caught up with the rat race they have forgotten that life is not all out work or making money or building a career but life is about being still, being thankful and having a song in the heart.

Most people want to be happy. But they do not know what they want.

Happiness is so temporary. Happiness is so fleeting. Happiness is so elusive.

What people need is joy.

Joy comes from the inside while happiness is so dependent on happenings.

Tim Hansel says: "Happiness is a feeling. Joy is an attitude. A posture. A position. A place." But I like what Dwight L. Moody has to say about joy:

 

"Happiness is caused by things that happen around me, and circumstances will mar it; but joy flows right on through trouble; joy flows on through the dark; joy flows in the night as well as in the day; joy flows all through persecution and opposition. It is an unceasing fountain bubbling up in the heart; a secret spring the world can't see and doesn't know anything about. The Lord gives his people perpetual joy when they walk in obedience to him."

And so that is the key.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment